LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #1
lowebb

Distribution: Ubuntu, Ubuntu, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 15
ndiswrapper ubuntu

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a DWL-122 in ubuntu with ndiswrapper. Ndiswrapper supports the dongle and I sucessfully have run through installation of ndiswrapper and the tested drivers with no problem.

I then do iwconfig and it tell me
lo no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.

I feel as if I am missing something here because I've had no errors through the installation. Can anyone enlighten me by any chance?

Old 06-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
beagle2

Distribution: elive,sidux,xp,pclinuxos super gamer, mandriva 2007

Rep: Reputation: 30
What does ndiswrapper -l show?

Old 06-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
lowebb

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for the assitance

ndiswrapper -l shows

Installed drivers:
netprism driver installed, hardware present

I got the driver from the ndiswrapper site of which it said was tested.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
lowebb

Original Poster
Hi, I'm off to bed shortly but I'd really appreciate any help you could give me. I'm not new to linux (but relatively inexperienced) and am new to ubuntu.

Would it have anything to do with the compiled kernel, i.e. some wireless modules not selected, I personally dont think so but I'm no expert. I'll be back on tomorrow for further discussion hopefully.

Thanks

Old 06-15-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
beagle2

Dont know if you have done this already but after ndiswrapper -i you must do depmod -a then modprobe ndiswrapper. Check dmesg - should be something like "ndiswrapper version <version> loaded" then try iwconfig. If all well continue as per this http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...p/Installation and remember to do ndiswrapper -m then add ndiswrapper to /etc/modules file.
If that fails then there may already be a driver installed for the device - prism2_usb may be already installed by default so lsmod will show if it is there. Did you try to bring up the interface before using ndiswrapper?
"modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1" has been found to work.
Remove ndiswrapper before you try prism2 and vice-versa ( rmmod ndiswrapper).
Sorry dont know how much you already know so maybe telling you things you're already aware of.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:17 AM   #6
lowebb

Original Poster
Yeah that wiki page is the installation I tried to follow and still got no luck. The most annoying thing is there are NO ERRORs appearing, everything is working fine until I type iwconfig and it tells me there are no wireless extensions.

I removed the ndiswrapper and tried

"modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1"

as you suggested and again it didnt through up any errors

"lsmod |grep prism" brough up

prism2 77060 0
usbcore 129668 5 prism2_usb,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

I then attempted to restart the network with
"etc/init.d/networking restart"

and it complained of
"DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 prot 67 interval XX" (xx is a changin number)
"send_packet: Network is down"
"receive_packet failed on wlan0: Network is down"

I know the network is there because I'm connected through my laptop via windows. I'm becoming very disillusioned with wireless on linux, this my third attempt at getting it working. I previously tried wlan-ng with limited success and was hoping ndiswrapper offered a better solution but its not looking likely

Old 06-16-2006, 04:02 AM   #7
beagle2

This is about it for me Im afraid "If it's a USB driver problem there are known issues with high speed USB and ndiswrapper, module under 2.6 is called ehci_hcd, try modprobe --remove ehci_hcd and then reload the ndiswrapper module, that's worked for some people."
Unfortunately its the hardware manufacturers to blame for the lack of drivers so until they decide its worthwhile we just gotta put up with it :-(
Some info here that may be of help https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...-ng/+bug/37451

What does lsusb -v show?

Heres more old info - http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...&highlight=122

Last edited by beagle2; 06-16-2006 at 04:49 AM.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:34 AM   #8
lowebb

Original Poster
Thanks Beagle2 for all your help, I've tried everything you've suggested byt I simply couldnt get ndiswrapper up and going on ubuntu. I found a forum with others (using ubuntu) with the same problem with no offered solution.

Just for anyone looking on this forum, I did eventually get the DWL-122 going using linux-wlan-ng. Luckily there is a repository in ubuntu for this so all I had to do was

1. sudo apt-get install linux-wlan-ng
2. I had to modify my /etc/networking/interfaces to load the wlan0 interface (and include ESSID among other thing, I can post this if any needs it)
3. ifup wlan0

At the time I didnt expect this to work and I may have forgotten a step but this should get any trying close enough.

On a further point after 2 days of trying I could not get WEP/WPA up and running. If anyone knows a way of doing this I'd appreciate the reply but as long as my wireless is up and running and the network is locked down via MAC Address I'm not overly bothered

Old 06-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #9
beagle2

No problem - glad you got it working despite my help