LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2002, 08:57 PM   #1
mikeshn

Rep: Reputation: 30
Sendmail or qmail?

Can someone explain what is better sendmail and qmail? Also sendmail install by default in Linux.. Wht about qmail? Do I have to install it or it installed by default? I use RedHat 7.1

Thanks in advance

Old 04-30-2002, 09:15 PM   #2
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084
Oh, here we go. This is the stuff that holy wars are made of. The truth is, they are both good mail servers (IMHO, ofcourse). The newer versions of sendmail (> 8.11.6) are really not *THAT* bad. For a basic SMTP installation either will do. If you have any specific questions let us know. I could go on for quite some time about the advantages/disadvantages/differences/etc.

--jeremy

Old 04-30-2002, 09:31 PM   #3
rlkiddjr

Distribution: FreeBSD 4.9

Rep: Reputation: 15
I've got a question sorta on the same subject. Which is easier or better to set up a virtual host on. Right now I have Sendmail running with no problems, (great program) but I only have one host (my company). If I wanted to host another domain, which one? I hear it is tuff to set up virtual hosting with Sendmail, but that may be hear say.

Thanks for any insight,

Lee

P.S.

I hope I don't start a holy war on this subject.

Old 04-30-2002, 09:41 PM   #4
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
I've got my ear to the ground on this thread. I'm currently running postfix (?!) but it looks like i'm moving to qmail.

Old 05-01-2002, 03:31 AM   #5
karunesh

Distribution: CentOS/Mandriva

I don't think sednmail is so much horrible.Even I have used sendmail with 12 domains and with hundreds of users and it is working perfact.About configuration part once you understand the working it's like a cream.

Old 05-01-2002, 06:23 AM   #6
mikeshn

Original Poster
What is postfix ?

Old 05-01-2002, 10:07 AM   #7
forand

postfix is yet another mail server, it is the default with the Mandrake distro, made by IBM but is OSS. As for functionality . . . I know nothing, I use sendmail and it works for me. Why do people choose qmail? I was told that the security benefits were no longer there, that is not to say that qmail is not a good server but what exactly does it do better than sendmail?

Old 05-01-2002, 01:53 PM   #8
phek

Distribution: Slackware

Well, i've never used sendmail myself, but i do use qmail and here are some of the great things i've found about it. Qmail itself has only had 1 exploit ever discovered for it which was patched back in `96. Qmail is great and handling large volumes of mail and hosts. Qmail has some great addon's available (i use vpopmail) that making adding a new domain as simple as typing /usr/sbin/vadddomain mynewdomain.com. The only down side to qmail is its very difficult to set up (correctly), and from what i always hear, its just about the hardest thing you can set up. But hell, once you set it up, administration is SO easy.

Last edited by phek; 05-01-2002 at 02:03 PM.

Old 05-01-2002, 09:13 PM   #9
atomiccoconuts
LQ Newbie

Distribution: RH 7.2

Rep: Reputation: 0
I've installed and configured qmail several times now and its not as bad as you think. Besides, adding virtualdomains is really simple with .qmail files. These will help you alot.

lifewithqmail.com

flounder.net/qmail/qmail-howto.html

qmailtheeasyway.com/

qmailtheeasy way didn't work for me, but your mileage may vary.

Old 05-02-2002, 01:37 PM   #10
phek

Distribution: Slackware

oh yah, i forgot to post a link to the page that showed me how to install qmail, its for a FreeBSD server but it still may help you.

http://matt.simerson.net/computing/qmail.toaster.shtml

Old 05-02-2002, 02:35 PM   #11
augamecock

Distribution: Debian

What I liked about sendmail w/ RedHat is that they did most of the setup right out of the box. There's only a couple of things to change, restart sendmail and I was off and running. I haven't had any problems w/ it either. Of course, There's only 1 account using it