LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2004, 11:18 AM   #1
furfurdemon666

Rep: Reputation: 30
Unhappy Lucent Winmodem drivers for Mandrake 10 Official with Kernel 2.6.3.7mdk ??

When I used mdk9.2 and kernel 2.4.22.28mdk or earlier I never had a problem finding drivers for my Lucent Winmodem here or here. But now that I'm going to be installing mdk10 official, what am I to do for Lucent Winmodem drivers with Kernel 2.6.3.7mdk?

You might say, "have you looked here?" And yes, I have and I found this, but the mdk source for the driver is ltmodem-2.6.3-4mdk.tgz not 2.6.3.7mdk. So what do I need to do? There are other sources in the dir, do I just download them and compile them myself for mdk10 kernel 2.6.3.7mdk? Will that work? Has anyone tried it? Please post if you can help*, thanks for reading.

* = Please no replies like: buy a real modem, why are you using a winmodem instead of..., just use kernel 2.4, or another kernel version, and other such unrelated offtopic unhelpful answers, questions or other comments which don't directly solve this problem.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:43 AM   #2
furfurdemon666

Original Poster
Question

bump

Old 04-30-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
Tormented

Distribution: Mandriva 2006

Rep: Reputation: 15
I compiled the ltmodem-2.6-alk-2.tar.gz package on kernel 2.6.3.7mdk and it works just fine.

Old 05-01-2004, 08:33 AM   #4
furfurdemon666

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by Tormented
I compiled the ltmodem-2.6-alk-2.tar.gz package on kernel 2.6.3.7mdk and it works just fine.
Hi Tormented, thank you for your post, I appreciate it.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:14 AM   #5
furfurdemon666

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by Tormented
Hello again Tormented, would you care to post step by step instructions as to how you compiled this and set it up? The Readme file isn't detailed enough for newbs (at least this newb). I would appreciate it very much. Thanks for reading.

Old 05-02-2004, 10:47 AM   #6
Tormented

1. Make sure you have the kernel-source rpm installed.

2. Edit the modem driver's Makefile and change:

KERNEL_DIR := /usr/src/linux-2.6/
to
KERNEL_DIR := /usr/src/linux/

3. Become root and type make.

4. Type the following commands:

mkdir /lib/modules/`uname -r`/other
cp -v *.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/other
mknod --mode=0640 /dev/ttyLT0 b 62 64
depmod -a
modprobe ltserial
ln -vs /dev/ttySLT0 /dev/modem

5. Add these lines to /etc/modprobe.conf

install winmodem /sbin/modprobe ltserial
alias /dev/modem ltserial
alias char-major-62 ltserial
alias /dev/tts/LT0 ltserial

6. Add this to the end of /etc/modprobe.preload

winmodem

I hope I didn't forget anything.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:15 PM   #7
furfurdemon666

Original Poster
Thank you Tormented for taking the time to post such helpful step by step instructions (and so quickly!), I appreciate it very much! I followed the details in your post and now my Lucent Winmodem works in mdk10 with kernel 2.6!

Old 05-03-2004, 12:38 AM   #8
windeath

Distribution: Any and all

Question

Greetings.

I to am having major headaches trying to get Mandrake 10 Beta 2 with 2.6xx to work with my lucent winmodem. Tormented when you say:

and you have the /other at the end....what is this referring to? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do I type this in verbatim, or do I substitute "other" for a directory in the existing tree?

Old 05-03-2004, 11:16 AM   #9
Tormented

Quote:
Originally posted by windeath
Greetings.

I to am having major headaches trying to get Mandrake 10 Beta 2 with 2.6xx to work with my lucent winmodem. Tormented when you say:

and you have the /other at the end....what is this referring to? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do I type this in verbatim, or do I substitute "other" for a directory in the existing tree?
Type it in verbatim. It makes a new directory called "other" that the modem kernel modules go in.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:26 PM   #10
rjmac
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 10.0 community

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy Problems with the modem

I have sucessfully got the modem working, but it seems that each time I restart the machine the modem no longer works.

I followed the instruction given by Tormented, but is there anything else that I need to do to get the modem to work once more, without having to do it all again.

Cheers

Old 05-13-2004, 06:58 PM   #11
xlekox
LQ Newbie

Problems here :(

arrrggg, I can't intall the drivers. When I put modprobe

Code:
#modprobe ltserial
WARNING: Error inserting ltmodem (/lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/ltmodem/ltmodem.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error inserting ltserial (/lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/ltmodem/ltserial.ko): Invalid module format
/var/log/messages

Code:
May 14 01:25:35 pepitgu kernel: ltmodem: version magic '2.6.3-4mdk 586 gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.3-7mdk 586 '
May 14 01:25:35 pepitgu kernel: ltserial: version magic '2.6.3-4mdk 586 gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.3-7mdk 586 '
Any idea ?

Old 05-15-2004, 02:25 PM   #12
Tormented

I think you might have the wrong version of the kernel sources installed.

Old 05-16-2004, 04:58 AM   #13
ilottl
LQ Newbie

Hi Guys, especially the wise Tormented

I am new to Linux and amd using KDE 2.3 (I think) on Linux Mandrake 10.0 Official Download Edition.

I also have a Lucent Winmodem and when I try to set up the internet with Mozilla it tells me I need Kernel 2.4 or above (What??)

In regards to your 1 above:

How do I make sure you have the kernel-source rpm installed. (I can't even find out how I can tell what kernel is installed!)

Please... HELP!! I really want to get connect and ditch XP but I am relying on XP for the internet.

Old 05-16-2004, 09:33 AM   #14
_invader
LQ Newbie

to llotti:

one way to find out if you have source installed is to run drakerpm - it's called " Browse Available Sofware" in the menus. If you can't find it in those lists, chances are you have it installed.

As for kernel 2.4.xxx, I actually recommend you stick to the 2.6.xxx version, and use the files furfurdemon666 posted at the first message, i.e. ltmodem-2.6.3-4mdk.tgz. Follow the instructions that are also posted on that site, and things should work ok.

...which brings me to a question... the drivers install properly and internet works fine, however, when I reboot, I find that all symbolic links ---and possibly files--- to the modem driver go missing! The only way to fix this is to install it over again, a pain in the butt in terms of typing commands...

has anyone got a solution to this glitch? thanks in advance!

Old 05-17-2004, 07:04 AM   #15
_invader
LQ Newbie

Installing Lucent Winmodem for Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community by _invader
============================================================

Firstly, I must give acknowledgement to furfurdemon666 for providing the links
to the driver files, Tormented for the commands/lines provided (this text is based
on his words of wisdom), and windeath for wise-cracking. Thanks folks!

BEFORE STARTING:
Make sure you are root before you begin! ltmodem-2.6.3-4mdf.tgz is obtainable from: http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pack...em/kernel-2.6/ or other sites.

These instructions are for users running the 2.6.3-4 kernel. The reason why I ever
bothered with this is because the kernel source code from Mandrake distro's only include
this version if you only have the first 3 CD's. The source is also required for installing
nVidia graphics drivers, and lastly, I don't think anyone likes wasting hours trying to
download the 2.4 kernel source!

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Obtain the file ltmodem-2.6.3-4mdk.tgz

2. Open the archive, and find these files:
ltmodem.ko
ltserial.ko

Extract them to the path /lib/modules/2.6.3-4mdk/other
(creating the folder 'other' if it does not exist).

NOTE i : the part 2.6.3-4mdk refers to your current running kernel;
If this is not yours, look around in /lib/modules for the appropriate one, and
substitute this into the path.
NOTE ii: the folder 'other' is created verbatim, as the modprobe looks in this folder
for all other modules.

3. Type the following commands:
mknod --mode=0640 /dev/ttyLT0 b 62 64
depmod -a
modprobe ltserial
ln -vs /dev/ttySLT0 /dev/modem

These commands create and link the appropriate modem devices, i.e. the winmodem is
referred by the system as /dev/modem and /dev/ttySLT0

4. Open the file /etc/modprobe.conf and add the following lines:
install winmodem /sbin/modprobe ltserial
alias /dev/modem ltserial
alias char-major-62 ltserial
alias /dev/tts/LT0 ltserial

5. Open the file /etc/modprobe.preload and add the following line:
winmodem

6. Check your modem! Open kppp or another program and 'Query' the modem. The problem
that occurs during reboot (i.e. devices/links going missing) should not occur.
Should this occur, "Reflect, repent, and reboot." -- windeath
Otherwise, Enjoy!