LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2004, 09:01 PM   #1
pmwalter
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SUSE 9.1

Rep: Reputation: 0
How to mount USB Zip 100 drive in SUSE 9?

Does anyone know how to mount a USB zip 100 drive in SUSE 9? SUSE recognizes the drive as far as I can tell. I heard that you need to modify a fastab to allow for access. How do I modify fastab?
Thanks for the help!

Old 02-16-2004, 09:23 PM   #2
peace

Rep: Reputation: 31
I think you mean 'fstab' which is locatted at /etc/fstab. Open it up in your text editor of choice, and edit it there.

Here is a fairly general resource on editing and mounting: http://www.redhat-linux.com.my/faq/boot11.html (I'm sure there are better ones, if it doesn't help you, google)

Old 02-16-2004, 10:36 PM   #3
pmwalter
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks Andrew. I did what you said and entered /dev/sda auto users 0 0. I got that from a forum serch. The zip drive icon is now on my desktop and is accessed when I click on it. However, I receive an error message that mentions that it can't determine my file system type...
I'm lost from there!

Old 02-17-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
earlsheridan
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SUSE 9, Fedora Core 3, Libranet 3.0, Xandros 3.0 Mandrake 10.1

I think what you need is a mount point in the fstab line, for example one line in mine is: /dev/sdc4 /media/zip auto noauto, user 0 0
Yes the auto and noauto are there just like that. The mount point is /media/zip. If this directory is not there you have to create it with mkdir. This is for Suse, others will have the mount point in the /mnt directory. The need for specififying the file type is in the mount command. It usually works better to do the mount manually rather than try to use the icon from the desk top. Hope this helps

Old 02-18-2004, 11:49 AM   #5
pmwalter
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks everybody. After reading all of your replies, I was able to fumble my way through it. Come to find out it is under sda4, not just sda. A major difference I suppose!
So ends my month long adventure trying to get my zip drive to work.

Thanks again folks

Old 02-18-2004, 06:23 PM   #6
Thymox

Distribution: Mostly Debian based systems

Rep: Reputation: 64
A fairly major difference, yep. What you are actually mounting is the filesystem that is found on a partition on your Zip discs. Yes, they do have partitions. For some reason Iomega decided that they would use the 4th partition. I'm sure there is a logical reason for it, but I can't think of any myself Anyway, sdc is the device, sdc4 is the partition.