LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2004, 10:12 PM   #1
Squall

Distribution: Slack 10

Rep: Reputation: 31
We need to start a war against AIM

How many of you are sick of "omg ttyl brb roflrofl rofl lmao omg hax0rz111!!!! jUsTyNe iS SO HOT OMGZ1!!!" and other expressions. We need to stop this nonsense and learn to speak normally. We are talking about the downfall of Western Civilization. That is why I appoint myself to be the official forum guard against AIM speak. One lol or omg is okay, but no more than one or else... Thank you.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:16 PM   #2
Netizen

Distribution: Slackware and Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
you have a hard time with the shortcut concept, eh?

Netizen

Old 01-27-2004, 12:09 AM   #3
Squall

Original Poster
absolutely, people are so f***ing lazy. they can't type out a sentence so they need to talk like idiots

Old 01-27-2004, 01:04 AM   #4
sharpie

Distribution: Slackware 10.1

Alot of these abbreviations were being used long before AIM came along.

Old 01-27-2004, 01:38 AM   #5
Squall

Original Poster
yE n I bLaMe AiM 4 teH sPrEd Fo Dem1111111111!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 01-27-2004, 07:46 AM   #6
natalinasmpf

Distribution: Slackware 9.1

wHaT ef wE r AcTNg LiK aN iDiOt OnLy SaRKAsTiKaLlY?

OMG WTF LOL!!!!!1111111!!!!!1111!1!!11

BtW. My ShIft KeE iS mAlFuNcTiOnInG, HeLp! FoR SoMe ReAsoN It SeEmS 2 hApPen 2 iDiOtS LiK M3 (BeAr In MiNd ThIs Is OnLy ObNoXiOuS AcTiNg).

g2g bYe!

Old 01-27-2004, 06:54 PM   #7
Thymox

Distribution: Mostly Debian based systems

Rep: Reputation: 64
I am in two minds as to whether I agree with your sentiments entirely or not. I do find that I cringe when I see people that do know English well writing as if they had been taught the language by a crazy chimp - I saw a lot of examples of this during my few (very long) months training to be a teacher. However, I also find that sometimes it can be just as effective to use a few well placed abbreviations or contractions when their general meaning is very well understood. One that caused me some confusion when I first encountered it a long time ago was LOL. Why on Earth were so many complete strangers saying "Lots of Love" to eachother.

I would, however, not include the concept of emoticons or smileys as over-AIMing (for want of a better way to phrase this). Smileys and other emoticons can be extremely useful for demonstrating sarcasm. Personally I prefer to use a slightly more geeky method by enlosing statements in html/xml tags such as <irony></irony>, etc.

I also prefer to type £0.02 instead of "Just my two penneth worth"

Old 01-27-2004, 07:54 PM   #8
SykoMachine

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1, Slackware 9.1, Windows XP

Rep: Reputation: 15
I Ha+E 1+ To0!!!

Old 01-27-2004, 08:00 PM   #9
twilli227

Distribution: Ubuntu, OS X

quote:
We are talking about the downfall of Western Civilization.

roflmao, come on man, isn't that a bit much?

http://www.pbrla.com/hancock_022502.html
http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner...ilization.html
http://www.tech-report.com/news_reply.x/4845/4/

Old 01-27-2004, 09:44 PM   #10
r_jensen11

Distribution: Slack 10.0 w/2.4.26

Rep: Reputation: 45
Hmm, I don't know.... I think we need to work on people's spelling for regular words. Once we tackle that problem, then we can work onto the abbreviations, possibly. I find abbreviations useful, but like you noted above, the "online" lingo is becoming pathetic. When you see people writing notes in class (mind you, to other class mates,) and they're using LOL and the such, it is depressing. I'm more in favor of the i.e. (id est -- translation: which means, not in example, which is e.g.) and the like. Properness (yes, it is, in fact, a word,) is one of the ideas that keeps linguistics from going back to our ancestors' means of communication.

Of couse, not everyone, like me, has a copy of Random House Webster's College Dictionary on their computer, with a nice launcher on the taskbar for eazy and convenient access. Now if I could only port the program over to Linux, so I wouldn't have to be online to use a dictionary on my Linux box....

Followup:

The references you've listed above are completely inadequate. People have already tracked down the oldest smiley face online to take place in 1982. Now, I know that the source comes from a microsoft website, but I remember reading something similar on the BBC. You also have to take note that in 1982, internet users were most likely Apple users.

http://www.research.microsoft.com/~m...ey/Smiley.html

Last edited by r_jensen11; 01-27-2004 at 09:55 PM.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:53 PM   #11
RaulConQ

Distribution: debian (stable)

Rep: Reputation: 16
if we stop using 'netspeak altogether, do we also force capitalization and completely proper grammar on everyone? correct spelling? not to politicize the issue of course. i assert that, like most things, moderation is key. i have no beef with a simple "LOL" instead of "I am laughing aloud!" or "brb" vs. "I will return momentarily." however, LMAOROFLLOLOLOLOLOL is far too much. and who the hell came up with hax0r anyway?

of course, it's true that this stuff was around pre-AIM (anyone remember IRC? ever use a BBS?). however, gaim takes some steps in the right direction, including the "/me" action function (like mIRC has had for some time).

Old 01-27-2004, 10:29 PM   #12
witeshark

Distribution: Mac OS X 10.4.11 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

All that short speak was rampant in IRC. But clearly people over do it and appear to do that proudly! Very pathetic! hax0r was I believe first used in a lame attempt to discuss hacking on-line without being detected by... ummm something I always thought the /me function in IRC a tad useless.

Old 01-28-2004, 06:44 AM   #13
SciYro

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 51
a lto of bad aspelling is do to the keybords in sure, theese fucking qwerty keyboards suck, i never used anyothers but they promise comforatable more natuaral typing, only problem is that they cost like $50 (serisouly, that the chepest dvorak kewbord iv seen for a pc), , now on to the fall of western civilazation, WHAT CIVILAZATIONNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jeezz we were far better offf killing eachother and sacking the romans (damn rome ), but seriously, people were far more advanced a long time ago, these days its not that were more civilized, its only that if war broke out wed kill eachother sence everyone in the westrn world should know how a nuclear bomb works, and should be able to build one given the right parts, i mean comon!, all thats requires it plutonium 236 or uramiun 235 at like what was the required amount? a baseball size? so dont giv us that western civilation falling crap cuse its been falling longer then you would remember, longer then the last death of the neadrothul (acuaal that would be around were we are now )

Old 01-28-2004, 07:25 AM   #14
enine

Distribution: Slackʍɐɹǝ

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
Your too late. IM speak is a recognized alternate language here. You can take a class for college credit just like you can for Spanish, French, or sign language.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:38 AM   #15
Echs Bochs

Distribution: Red Hat Linux 9

Rep: Reputation: 15
|_| |2 |\|07 1337 4|\|D |-|4|2DK0|23

>_>