LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2004, 03:16 AM   #1
(!~CoW~)!
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Two Quick Questions.... (Networking and Mice)

Ok, I'm trying to set up RH9 on the internet after losing my old settings because i restarted and dont know how to make the settings permanent.....

ive gone thru and done the following steps in the console:
modprobe tulip
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.199
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

that allows me to get so far as to ping other computers on the network, but gives me no internet connection, any help as to what more i need to do for an internet connection would be nice, and any information about how to make the settings permanent would be amazingly useful.

second question:

i accidentily started up my computer into rh9 with my really crap ps/2 mouse still plugged in, and i chose to install drivers for it (no big deal).... but now i can no longer use my decent optical usb mouse.... only the ps/2 mouse appears to respond on screen, and no mouse activity at all if the ps/2 mouse is unplugged..... any ideas?

Old 01-01-2004, 12:26 PM   #2
coolamit78

Distribution: RHEL AS 3/4, Windows XP

Rep: Reputation: 31
Hello (!~CoW~)!,

As far as your first ques is concerned,

Firstly, I dont think your network card will not be detected during boot up....

(a) You can put the following line in the file /etc/modules.conf

alias eth0 tulip

I dont think then you will need to load the tulip module manually, however, if the step (a) does not load your drivers automatically, then put the line

modprobe tulip

in the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local ( OR /etc/rc.local)

Now to set up your network information, log in as root and give the following command

netconfig

You can now enter your machine's IP Address, Netmask, Gateway and Name Server(DNS) IP......

This command (netconfig) updates the following file

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Alternately, you can also use the command

neat
OR
redhat-config-network

in X

After that, give the following command

service network restart

Now you should be able to ping peer computers as well as establish an internet connection with your ISP ( obviously when you adjust your machine settings as per your ISP's instructions)

(b)

Regarding the second issue, remove your PS2 mouse and connect the USB mouse...and then restart your computer.....'kudzu' , Redhat's h/w probing utility will automatically install and allow you to setup your USB mouse...

You can also force a h/w detection without restarting...just remove the PS2 mouse and connect the USB one, and then as root, run the command

kudzu

I hope that helps...

Regards,

amit

Old 01-01-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
(!~CoW~!)

Distribution: Slax 10.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
thank you very much for the information, and ill assume that netmask and subnet mask are the same thing....

Last edited by (!~CoW~!); 01-01-2004 at 11:24 PM.