LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2003, 10:28 AM   #1
zoro_in_heat
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Rpm

Hi All,

I am a complete newbie to Linux.
I have managed to install RedHat 9.0 after three attempts , now I am having the following problems.

1. How to provide Java support , I tried downloading from the sun site but I guess there should be something of a equivalent of a virtual machine.

2. Whats rpm ?? how does it work ??

3. Whats the hierarchy of the directories in linux. What directories are used for what purpose.

4. How to install a program and what formats are downloadable programs available in ??

5. Is there a command window in linux and where could I get help on the commands for command line.

I hope the questions are not too stupid but I guess I am a bit stuck here.

ciao,

Zoro

Old 10-17-2003, 10:45 AM   #2
jkobrien

Distribution: Slackware, LFS, Ubuntu, RedHat, Slamd64

Rep: Reputation: 30
They're not stupid. But they're big! Linux, and unix in general, is a little opaque at first but with a little reading and experimenting you'll be up and running before you know it.

Have a look for some general "linux for beginners" sites. The linux documentation project will teach you plenty.

1. Don't know much about Java, but the downloads from the sun site will work with a little research - I got mine there. But you might want to leave this until you've answered the other questions.

2. an rpm is how redhat installs and maintains packages (programs). "man rpm" will give you plenty to read.

3. This was covered in this site lately - use the search function.

4. Using rpms (see above) or using tarballs - "man tar", and always read the README files (get familiar with the basic commands first though).

5. There sure is. It's called an xterm (hit alt-F2, then type xterm). The two most useful commands are "man" and "apropos". Start off with "man man" and "man apropos".

Sorry if this seems a little short. I do mean it to be as helpful as possible but a full answer to any of these questions would take a long time.

Good luck and have fun!

John