LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2024, 12:46 PM   #1
Dienx
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Exclamation Gave up waiting for root file system device / Installed Ubuntu on flash drive

Hello, a bit of a newbie here.
I currently downloaded the newest latest of ubuntu available on a hard drive, then installed on new Hp laptop.

the screen its giving me is :

Gave up waiting for root file system device. Common problems:
-boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
-check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
-missing modules (cat/proc/modules; ls /dev
ALERT! UUID=41ca7b72-0036....... does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Busybox v1.30.1 (ubuntu 1:1.30.1 - 7ubuntu30 built-in shell (ash)
enter help for a list of built-in commands.

any advice? ive tried like 10 hours on YouTube videos and also read like every similar post about this but all steps that have been taken on those dont seem to work...

thanks !

Old 04-22-2024, 12:57 PM   #2
mrmazda
LQ Guru

Distribution: openSUSE 24/7; Debian, Knoppix, Mageia, Fedora, others

Rep: Reputation: 2068Reputation: 2068Reputation: 2068Reputation: 2068Reputation: 2068Reputation: 2068Reputation: 2068Reputation: 2068Reputation: 2068Reputation: 2068Reputation: 2068
Those messages typically result from the bootloader's failure to access the root filesystem, a result of an improperly or incompletely configured installation. Have you been trying to boot with your installation media still attached?

Are you familiar with using "--removable" with Grub? You need to be when installing to removable media.

Have you tried booting again your installation media and using its menu option to boot the freshly installed system?

Old 04-22-2024, 01:06 PM   #3
Dienx
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
continued...

My apologies, meant I downloaded the ubuntu on a flash drive .
after a few dozens hours on YouTube watching similar but not the same issues, I just hit the "try ubuntu" option, connected to the internet, & then got this link after performing both commands.

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/YJv6jv2nwj/

Old 04-22-2024, 01:22 PM   #4
Dienx
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
my apologies, I was referring to a USB thumb drive. I downloaded the boot repair via the "try Ubuntu" button and obtained the following link:

any advice would be amazing

Last edited by Dienx; 04-22-2024 at 01:35 PM.

Old 04-22-2024, 01:55 PM   #5
Dienx
LQ Newbie

Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
Those messages typically result from the bootloader's failure to access the root filesystem, a result of an improperly or incompletely configured installation. Have you been trying to boot with your installation media still attached?

Are you familiar with using "--removable" with Grub? You need to be when installing to removable media.

Have you tried booting again your installation media and using its menu option to boot the freshly installed system?
----

my apologies, I was referring to a USB thumb drive. I downloaded the boot repair via the "try Ubuntu" button and obtained the following link:

any advice would be amazing

Old 04-22-2024, 02:09 PM   #6
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,

Rep: Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495
Line 138 of boot repair shows the UUID you get in your error message as the UUID in the grub.cfg file on sdb1, the EFI partition. Boot the Ubuntu live and mount sdb2 and go to the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and check that the same UUID is there in the Ubuntu menuentries.

Line 81 shows fstab-without-boot. While you have sdb2 mounted, go to the /etc/fstab file to see what the entry is there.

Line 38 shows OS detected but nothing shows for sdb2, only sdb1 which is unusual.

Did you use the instructions to install from the Ubuntu site?

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install...top#1-overview