LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2024, 03:44 PM   #1
chrisitrisi
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Linux setup dowsent pick up my storage space!

Hello, I tried to download Linux on my laptop, so I just followed some YouTube tutorials, but after multiple tries, I just can't figure it out.

So, I freed up some space, but when I try to set everything up, I don't see the free space, just like everywhere else in the tutorial.

Please help me, thanks!

Old 04-21-2024, 03:52 PM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisitrisi View Post
Hello, I tried to download Linux on my laptop, so I just followed some YouTube tutorials, but after multiple tries, I just can't figure it out. So, I freed up some space, but when I try to set everything up, I don't see the free space, just like everywhere else in the tutorial.
Absolutely no idea what you're asking.

You've not given us any details about what you downloaded, from where, using what tutorials (and YouTube *IS NOT* a good source of information), and your only problem description is "can't figure it out". What, exactly, are you trying to do, with which version/distro of Linux, on what kind of hardware??? We will be happy to try to help, but we can't guess as to the details.

Old 04-22-2024, 02:46 AM   #3
___

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
http://OSboxes.org/virtualbox will allow you to simply/easily & quickly run a Linux distro like any M$Win game/app.
(the only non-trivial part is: un-7z the .vdi & select "Use existing vHD" during the few steps for 'New' VM.)

Old 04-22-2024, 06:52 AM   #4
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,

Rep: Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495
Were you eventually able to download some Linux version? Which one as there are hundreds of them available? Which youtube tutorials? Best to post a link because a lot of youtube stuff is bad and there is no verification so anyone can post anything there. Most of the major Linux distributions have documentation online explaining how to install. Did you do a search for that? Answers to these questions and the ones in post 2 will be a good start toward getting help. The link below has a list of a number of different Linux distributions you could review to try to select one that suits you. Look on the right of the page to Page Hit Ranking.

https://distrowatch.com/

Old 04-22-2024, 04:22 PM   #5
Bonz0
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Does your ssd not show up when you try to install? If so look in the bios to see if you're in RAID mode. If so you have to change it to AHCI. If you're planning to dual boot with windows and you change from RAID to AHCI, windows might not boot. There's a workaround where you boot windows into safe mode. Have a search.