LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2023, 07:55 AM   #1
blumenwesen

Rep: Reputation: 0
mpv, gimp, firefox freezes after system start, process after kill + restart runs normally.

If Linux has been started and a computer or graphically complex program is running, the program freezes after about 1-10 minutes, for example mpv, gimp or firefox.
Only after that all programs run normally without crash or error, so I would rule out a hardware problem.
PC performance is certainly sufficient, probably it is a driver or library problem.
The error seems to have to do with the graphical representation or graphic hardware identification.
In the first 10 minutes after system start, the RADEONTOP output is empty, only a little later output data appears, is independent of process crash.

Distro: Debian 6.1.0-1-amd64, Desktop: MATE 1.24.1, dm: LightDM 1.26.0, parameters: quiet splash noautomount quiet splash

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FX, CPU: AMD FX-8100 AM3+, RAM: 7.7 gb (used: 34%), Graphics: Radeon HD 5800, Audio: Creative SB X-Fi Surround, Monitor: HDMI LCD_TV

Quote:
direct rendering: Yes, Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
Vendor: X.Org (0x1002), Device: AMD CYPRESS (DRM 2.50.0 / 6.1.0-1-amd64, LLVM 14.0.1) (0x6898)
Version: 22.1.0, Accelerated: yes, Video memory: 1024MB, Unified memory: no, Preferred profile: core (0x1)

OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 22.1.0-devel
OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 22.1.0-devel
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40

OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
output_c
Quote:
$ sudo lightdm --test-mode --debug
#BEFORE mpv crash
#AFTER mpv crash

Last edited by blumenwesen; 06-03-2023 at 10:22 AM.

Old 06-04-2023, 06:09 AM   #2
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Slarm64 & Android

Rep: Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by blumenwesen
If Linux has been started and a computer or graphically complex program is running, the program freezes after about 1-10 minutes, for example mpv, gimp or firefox.
There's a number of things wrong here. Is this about your computers and if so which? What you describe is not typical of my computers. You spend a lot of space reasoning on what the problem isn't. But if you knew what it was, you'd hardly be asking us. And you posted 165k of a text file and expect us to read through that, when you probably didn't bother yourself.

The dictionary my friend, is the only place where success comes before work.

The required libraries are there, or the programs wouldn't start. The things that stand out there are
  1. Yours is not a new box - no harm in that.
  2. There is only 1 gig of video ram which is very small by today's standards.

My video card is aimed at 1920x1080 work and has 8G of ram. Others have more. To check if I'm on the right track, can you drop down a video mode and see if that stops the crashes. If you're on 1920x1080, dropping to 1600x900 takes ¼ of the workload off; a drop to 1280x720 takes ½ off. You can stick a "Preferred Mode" setting into xorg.conf.d and see if that helps, or a Virtual setting. Man xorg.conf is your friend.

Old 06-04-2023, 01:18 PM   #3
blumenwesen

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Computer should probably be called compute, was an translate error, because there is no alternative in my language for monitoring.
I mean only one PC on which this problem occurs, my older laptop does not cause this error when connected to the monitor.
I self have tried to solve the problem because I do not assume that it can be solved if I write a post.
Therefore, please excuse my absurd assumptions, I believe that the assumptions also contain meaningful facts that could help to correct the error.
I have read through the 165 KB file, for example, I have activated IMMO in the bios and after the reboot I have read that it is still suggested by the output to activate it.
Since I suspected it was a display problem, I wanted to let those who want to help me know in every possible way that could help.
Unfortunately, I lack knowledge about what could help or where exactly the problem could be related to, so I would have to know beforehand which command output could help.

If you consider that things do not happen by random, and there is another reason why you were annoyed before answering, you may know what difficulties I still have.
But don''t worry, something like that should only attract attention, and if it does, most of them will stop helping me.
But even if they continue to help, they would not have any major difficulties, since no one can know that it is not uncommon that someone does not want to continue to help.

Mint, ubuntu, kali and also the debian distro that I have now were running on my computer before did not cause this problem before.
I use an older TV as a monitor, the monitor can not adapt properly to the resolution 1280x720.
In any case, thanks for the help, I'll try to change xorg.conf.